Tuesday, January 4, 2011

the choice to bottle feed

So yesterday at the KMCC we saw a family my husband knows from work. They were out and about with their 3 day old baby girl ( who was so adorable! OH my goodness i kept telling my kids not to touch her, but really it was me i was saying that too!! ). She was so sweet and tiny with the pinkest little lips. Oh! I kept thinking( as we were standing there ) about how excited i am to give birth again, and to breastfeed someone so small! It made me so happy to think about it! As we were walking away the mom pulled out her diaper bag and got out a bottle and formula and a bottle of water.... that made me very sad.

   Now, i should say here that i AM a parent who bottle fed 2 babies. Mama chick went to the bottle full time around 8 months, looking back now what i THOUGHT was weaning, was really just developmental milestones and teething, not weaning at all! But i was young, and didn't know anyone who was breastfeeding so i gave her a bottle. Silly chick was bottle fed from around 3 months old. I started giving her a bottle at just before 2 months old because i was very sick, and the Dr. didn't know what was wrong ( really he didn't take anytime to run tests or listen to me because if he had he probably would have caught on right away what was going on with me ) and so i was almost starving for 4 months because i couldn't eat anything. and i mean ANYTHING. I had frozen quite a bit of milk in the freezer and gave that to her for more then a month before i ran out. Then i gave her formula. I hated it. HATED IT. But, i didn't know what else to do. And looking back, there really wasn't a whole lot i could have done. Okay, so all that being said....

  How is it that new moms CHOOSE to bottle feed? How can they make that choice when everywhere around them is breastfeeding is best information? And i am not trying to be snarky, i really want to know.
'
. The idea of bugs being in the food i gave my children was enough to make me move off the military base. I could never give my children formula now without worrying about dead bug body parts in it. Why do moms choose to formula feed over breastfeeding? Its not easier, its not better for the baby, and if you don't attachment parent, it can hinder the bond between mother and baby. It makes me ill to see parents propping bottles...why cant they just hold their babies? Do you know that they sell a beanbag animal with a loop on top that is FOR BOTTLE PROPPING???? i almost puked when i saw it. Isn't that dangerous? It was always important to me to hold silly chick while she had her bottle ( mama chick was older and held it on her own, i still held her when she wanted me to of course though! ) and to feel that connection to her as if she was nursing. i missed nursing her.
(isn't this thing awfuL!!)

okay so lets go over why its not easier. Its not ready at the drop of a hat( or neckline should i say ;) ), it goes bad, you have to wash bottles and nipples, you have to make sure to have some with you in your diaper bag when you leave the house. It just seems to me like a lot of extra work( well, i know it is a lot of extra work ).

its not better for baby.  Babies bodies are not developed to digest anything other than breast milk till at least 6 months old. Not carrots, not rice cereal, nothing. For at least, at least 6 months they aren't supposed to have cows milk till 1 year old. Yet formula is made from cows milk. Its obvious by the disgusting, smelly, nasty greenish grey poop ( oh the smell of that can make my stomach turn over!!! ) that it isn't as good for them as natural mothers milk( and i am sorry but the "organic" formula is BREASTMILK...  )

 So why do it? Why choose it? I know there are times there is not a choice. But, for the moms that choose it. WHY? Why do you choose it? Again, as a mom who did it( not by choice ) why do you CHOOSE it? I really am just curious.

im a little bummed! I wanted to add pictures on here of me feeding my babies both ways that i have, but all those pictures are on another computer... boo :( oh well. I will add them when i find them!

1 comment:

  1. Was at a breastfeeding study day once, and something that the person taking it said, really hit home. She was talking about the UNICEF baby friendly guidelines, and she said that baby friendly is so much more than just breastfeeding your baby. She was talking about how breastfeeding mums cuddle their babies close, stroke them, talk to them. Babies that are breastfed have better brain development, in part due to to goodness of breastmilk but also because their mothers interact better with them. So true! I always tell bottlefeeding mums to cuddle their babies in, talk to them etc. Babies and their mothers are a diad, not two individuals...

    Sadly, our breastfeeding rates in NI are really bad, only about 50% of women initiate it, and very few are still feeding at 8 weeks!! Most women here haven't even seen a baby being breastfed, so it just doesn't seem "natural" to most women!!

    ReplyDelete